Saturday, December 3, 2011

Molten Chocolate Mint Ramekin Cakes - December Bake-A-Thon - Day 3

Molten Chocolate Mint Cakes

Little lava cakes have been around for a while now, with at least two chefs claiming these sybaritic brownies as their creations. Although Jacques Torres and Jean-Georges Vongerichten can cross swords all they like, I prefer to dip and scoop with a demi-tasse spoon into these voluptuously hot cups of too-much melted chocolate and butter with the seasonal zip of natural mint extract. Such indulgences, though, do require significant penance, such as cross-country skiing or snow-shoeing for at least two hours. Both the dessert and the exercise cause the heart to skip more than one beat.

Molten Chocolate Mint Ramekin Cakes - Marginally adapted from the Kraft* recipe. The only alternation I made was to add 1 tablespoon natural mint extract to the final batter, and garnish each with a miniature candy cake after dusting with confectioners sugar. Although these cakes are traditionally inverted from their baking vessels for plating, I prefer to enjoy them without the extra step to confine every crumb and ooze of chocolate without loss to either. (Please note that these cakes will rise in oven, then fall slightly, forming craters on the surface. These craters are really the wells from which to zero in on the lava, and nothing to be disappointed about.)

This is my Day 3 contribution to December Bake-A-Thon.

Please stop by my other baking comrades' sites to see what they've been firing their ovens for:

Champa
Veena
Priya
Preeti


* I have no business nor personal relationship with Kraft Foods nor their agents.

12 comments:

  1. I have never made these lava cakes and I don't know why. Could be due to the mess that my kids might make with the liquid flowing out. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I ever laid my taste buds on one of these decadent desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! I love lava cakes, too, but never thought to create a mint one. The little candy cane looks so festive, too. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A heavenly treat!

    Happy Monday.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not that keen on the whole choc mint combo - but you could turn my head with these. It was the molten that did it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Champa - They are messy, but that's why I keep them in the cup, confining the flow. If you make them for the kiddies, I would suggest very small ramekins since this dessert is very rich and sweet.

    Val - Hi. I'm late to the party, but what a heady sweet.

    Thanks, Ricki. Good to see you. This recipe takes so little flour, I am wondering if you could sub w/ gluten free. Of course, w/ all the eggs, it isn't vegan.

    Rosa - Ta always, dear girl.

    Understood, Sally, but you can also make it with just vanilla extract or for more pairings: orange extract, rum, brandy, and whiskey work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lava cake looks super addictive and quite irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made these before..but checking your way of description makes me go for one before I bake:)) Parcel them to me please:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good Susan! Very Christmassy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to scoop out a big piece right now!! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete