Friday, December 2, 2011

Coconut and Lychee Flaugnarde - December Bake-A-Thon - Day 2

LycheeCoconutFinalOriginalSmall

The French have a word for it. Don't they always? They call it a flaugnarde, although you might think it is a clafoutis. No dice. The famed black cherry-studded flan pancake from the Limousin cannot be properly called a clafoutis unless it is baked with cherries. All other similarly battered fruit recipes are assigned the flaugnarde moniker. But let's leave these wise and romantic linguists to wrangle while we get out some flour, eggs, and fruit, for a dish that, confidentially speaking, I will call bread pudding.
Coconut Lychee Flaugnarde - My own recipe based on the similar-still Dutch Oven Pancake that I grew up on.

Serves 4

Ingredients

3 tablespoons softened butter to grease the pan
4 large eggs
1 can (approximately 2 cups) sweetened cream of coconut (not coconut milk)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 can lychees in heavy syrup, drained
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted lightly in a dry skillet over medium heat (optional) or 1/2 cup powdered sugar, the traditional finishing touch.

Method

Preheat oven 350
° F

Grease a large cast iron or stainless 9-inch pan with the butter. (I used 1-cup capacity porcelain gratin dishes for their style, but metal will hold heat better to puff up the pancake.)

In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light yellow, very thick, and form an undulating ribbon when poured off a spoon. Add and beat in well the cream of coconut, coconut milk, and vanilla extract. Incrementally beat in the flour until you produce a smooth batter. Pour batter into pan, then arrange lychees over the batter. Bake for 20 minutes on the center rack of oven. The flaugnarde is done when a knife inserted into batter away from fruit comes out moist, but not runny, and the top has risen and is golden brown. You may need to bake and test again in 5-minute increments, but it is critical that the batter not become to dry and hard as bread. Ideally it should have the consistency of a moist, custard-like (ahem) bread pudding. Remove from oven when properly set. Cool for 5 minutes, then top with toasted coconut or powdered sugar. Can be served warm or cold, but if you've never had it before, I would try it warm first.

This is my contribution for Day 2 of December Bake-A-Thon.

You can see here what my fellow bakers have been up to in their kitchens today:
Champa
Veena
Priya
Preeti

11 comments:

Archana said...

wow this looks very tempting. I was not sure what cream of coconut was but thanks to google I do and can make it. So this goes in my list of to-do's.
Thanks.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A marvelous flognarde! With lychee and coconut, you take that classic to a higher level.

Cheers,

Rosa

Lynne said...

Beautiful photo, Susan. Very festive, too!

Champa said...

This sounds and looks absolutely delicious. Loved the look of it. French means fancy words for me sometimes. I thought it looked like pudding too.

Priya said...

Marvellous and incredible flaugnarde,inviting Susan..

bellini said...

No matter what it is called it sounds pretty special Susan.

Ambreen said...

Wow! Looks fantastic! Beautiful click!

Rhonda said...

I'm so glad that I read this! I have been calling all my battered fruit dishes a clafoutis. Thank goodness I've never published one...

I have yet to cook with lychees, but I'm tempted to make this for a Sunday Brunch.

veena krishnakumar said...

Lovely pic!!!!and this looks so inviting Susan!!!!

Jayasri Ravi said...

Thanks for this recipe, i love baking with fruits & coconut must be really delicious, never baked with lychees, i have to give this a try..., looks beautiful

Aparna said...

We get fresh lychees but they're not very much liked in our home. Never thought of baking with them. Should when I see them next!
This lokks very do-able and eatable. :)