Tuesday, July 5, 2011

White Beans, Sweet Potato, and Spinach Tacos - A Guest Post by Joanne Bruno of Eats Well with Others

Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering. It *rolls* off the tongue like a white-shoe law firm. But it's not. Not law, that is, but another powerhouse of an institution focusing instead on medicine, the hands-on healing touch, as well as the crooked necks to the microscopes in the research labs. A MD/PHd program is a double-duty career pursuit which would be a challenge to even the brightest stars in the lecture halls and surgical theaters. But then we are not all Joanne Bruno, who keeps her adrenaline pumped by running marathons, and her body bursting with the complementary good health of sound nutrition found in recipes on her popular blog, Eats Well with Others. Joanne's dishes are as snappy and upbeat as her writing; you can't help but be buoyed up by the bounce as her heals hit the pavement when she follows a 9-mile race with a 5-mile run - just because she can. You feel her energy and believe that you can keep her pace. It may literally take miles before you can run in her shoes, but you can start by checking into her kitchen as she cranks out many more dishes than there are bones in the human body. You can connect with Joanne on Twitter or Facebook. Why do I think she'll be up for it?

I am very happy to feature her cooking, writing, and photography on The Well-Seasoned Cook in celebration of My Legume Love Affair - Kicking Off Year 4.
Thank you very much, Joanne!

The following writing, recipe, and photography are owned by Joanne Bruno and protected by copyright. All Rights Reserved. 2011. All materials appear here by permission and courtesy.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


IMG_3955

I have a 10 year plan.

Now, that's not to say I have anything figured out. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life, who I want to spend it with, and whether or not I want to have an epidural when/if I give birth (although after one of my friends had to have one during a recent surgery...I'm leaning towards no. No pain, no gain. Right? Just, um. Humor me.). I realize that these are the important things to think about. But honestly. I've got nothing. So, right. This 10 year plan of mine? It's a 10 year food plan. Obviously. Normal people totally have those.

IMG_3947

It goes something like this: cook a pound of beans every week.

The end!

It took me quite a while to figure this one out. A lot of head scratching and thinking went on. Probably while I was supposed to be checking a patient's vital signs or figuring out the difference between nephritic and nephrotic renal disease. Oops.

But really, it's quite a gem of a plan.

You see, you cook this pound of beans. And then you have dinner halfway prepared for every night of the week! You can throw the beans in salads or pasta or soup! Or my new favorite, which is to grab whatever greens I got in my CSA this week (and we all know that we're all getting greens aplenty in our CSA's. Don't even try to pretend otherwise.), wilt them down and saute them. Mix in my bean-of-choice for the week along with a roasted root vegetable. Season with smoked paprika and chipotle chile powder. Throw into a tortilla shell. Call it a taco or burrito or tostada or whatever Mexican dish pops into your head at that moment. And voila. Dinner is served.

Now, isn't this way more delicious than worrying about teething rings and pensions and life insurance? I think so, too.

IMG_3963

White Bean, Sweet Potato, and Spinach Tacos
Serves 4, an Eats Well With Others Original

1 1/2 lb sweet potato
1 lb spinach, coarsely chopped
1 bunch escarole, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups white beans
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
4 burrito-sized tortilla shells or 8 taco-sized shells

salt and black pepper to taste


1. Preheat oven to 450. Cut sweet potatoes into small chunks. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place sweet potato chunks on baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, and roast until fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a pot of salted water until boiling. When boiling, add escarole and spinach to the pot. Cover and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Strain.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil. Once oil has heated, add the spinach and escarole to the pan. Add the white beans. Stir in paprika and chili powder. Cook over medium heat until any residual liquid from the greens has evaporated. Add sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve inside tortilla or taco shells.
IMG_3958

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. That taco is so appetizing, beautiful, colorful and healthy looking! A wonderful recipe and guest post.

    Thanks for making me discover a new blog!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quintessential Joanne and totally right too. I've always thought that I was pretty good at time management, until I started reading Joanne's blog. I really like the addition of strawberries to that plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious combination! A great guest post, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! That looks so pretty :-)
    And Susan, 4 years ! That's wonderful. Congratulations !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your 10-yr plan, Joanne:) Just looking at this dish makes me smile, as I know that it tastes heavenly.
    And I wholeheartedly agree with Simona - I have no idea how you manage what you do and I admire you:) Great recipe and a great guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As funny as ever, Joanne, but very short, I wished it would go on and on. If I could, I would ROFL at the 10-year plan and calling it whatever Mexican name comes to mind.
    Lovely photos and props too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greens and beans! My favourite! I love your lastest twist for your bean fetish.... and I will happily follow suit on your 10-year bean plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds perfectly yummy. I love the "toss it together and dinner is served" philosophy! Right up my alley. Thanks, Joanne & Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one inventive taco, looks delicious! Love everything that's in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make healthy cooking sound so easy! This looks absolutely amazing! And a ten-year plan? I can't even plan for next week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks wonderful deliciously done colourful presentation

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been convinced for years that you can put anything in a tortilla. I've never thought of this particular combination before but...ummm....yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a refreshing twist on this dish Joanne.

    ReplyDelete