Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Meme-orable Meal - Spiced Vegetable Fritters

Spicy Vegetable Fritters
Recipe for these fantastic fritters after the meme.

~~~~~~

I am here. Barely. It's been rather rough-and-tumble for me lately. I wish I could report differently, but it ain't going to get better any time soon, so apologies in advance for pretty much playing phantom a while longer. (Yes, I am hosting WHB #204 October 5 - 11.) In meantime, I'm answering a meme that Swati of Swati's Sugar Craft passed on to me so long ago, it must have been in a former life. I now sent it to Rose, Martha, Ricki, Simona, Nanditha, and Jessica, to play with or leave alone - no obligations whatsoever. As you can see, it's taken me over a year to respond to this one. Take. Your. Time.

1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATER?
I can't even remember. Really. I think it was Ratatouille. ??? I'm not kidding. On those very rare occasions when Scott and I actually go out to a flick, it's always animated kids' stuff: Corpse Bride, The Incredibles, Wallace and Grommit, Flushed Away...On the homefront, however, well, that's a different story. It's all very art house, subtitled, and sophisticated. So, every now and then, after a belly full of that, we have to run out to clear our heads with cartoons.

2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?
Several. I am currently juggling Le Carré's Karla Trilogy; Banville's Athena (for the third time); and I just added Camilleri's The Shape of Water. I've tried reading sequentially, but it just doesn't work for me; old multi-tasking habits die hard.

3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME?
Pictionary.

4) FAVORITE MAGAZINES?
Saveur, The Atlantic, Time Out New York.

5) FAVORITE SMELLS?
Lavender, peony, violet, scented-geranium leaves, cardamom, peach, cilantro.

6) FAVORITE SOUNDS?
The approach of a train; the syncopated tattoo of rain thumping the roof; the shriek of raptors; and the holy, surreal silence of walking in a powdery snowfall.

7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?
Grief.

8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?
Coffee or inky-black tea.

9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE?
I rarely eat fast food, but Burger King has killer coffee and fries.

10) FUTURE CHILD'S NAME?
No kids planned, but I am very fond of the Irish and Scottish Gaelic: Katriona, Siobhan, Niall...

11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT— "IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D..."
Buy a boat and learn to sail.

12) DO U DRIVE FAST?
No, I drive the speed limit (I'm not into an early grave nor a whopping traffic summons), and I'm not crazy about the guy in back of me kissing my tailpipe, either.

13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?
You can't sleep with stuffed animals when you have the real deal; the bed is crowded enough.

14) STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?
Cool, always cool. The scarier, the cooler.

15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?
A Chevy.

16) FAVORITE DRINK/S?
Harpoon IPA.

17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-"IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…"
Learn to sail, even if I can't afford that boat.

18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. And I've a recipe coming up that makes wonderful use of them.

19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?
Since it's already been nearly every other color, anyway, it's time to go back to being a brunette. I miss it. Truly.

20) FAVORITE SPORT/S TO WATCH?
Fencing. Yes, it's a spectator sport, too, but you've got to look sharp. (Go ahead and groan - I love puns and have given up apologizing for them.)

21) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
Swati's an all-around good soul. She hasn't blogged in quite some time - shame; she's got a natural talent for fondant cake decorating.

22) WHAT'S UNDER YOUR BED?
Built-in storage. Thank God.

23) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??
The short answer is yes. The long answer is complicated, philosophical, and would bore you stupid with too much information. These twenty-eight nuggets of nothing are more than enough about me for the moment.

24) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?
Night owl, although my favorite times are those of twilight, the dawn and dusk.

25) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?
Over Easy.

26) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX?
In bed, juggling all those books.

27) FAVORITE PIE/S?
Wet Bottom Shoo-Fly.

28) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR/S?
Butter Pecan, Black Raspberry, Coffee.

~~~~~~~

Spicy Vegetable Fritters


Spiced Vegetable Fritters - Reprinted by Permission from An Honest Kitchen - Kathyrn Elliott and Lucinda Dodds - All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 2009

Makes 12 fritters

300g (combined weight) cauliflower and broccoli, roughly chopped
½ onion, roughly chopped
1 x 400g can (about 250g cooked) lima or butter beans
1 egg, whisked
1 ½ tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons rolled oats
½ bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
Canola oil for cooking

Make the fritters: Place the cauliflower, broccoli, beans and onion in a food processor. Process until they're finely chopped and starting to clump together. Transfer this to a bowl and then add in the rest of the ingredients, except the oil. Mix together until it is combined - you may need to mash the mixture slightly with the back of a spoon to get the right texture. Season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 12 fritters - you may find it easier to mould the mixture with wet hands.

Cook the fritters: Place a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add a drizzle of canola oil and once this is hot gently place fritters in the pan. You'll need to cook the fritters in batches of about 4 – 5 depending on the size of your frying pan. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through. Transfer to kitchen paper to drain and then serve.

Cooking & Storage:
These fritters can be served in lots of different ways. I like them with brown rice and a dollop of natural yoghurt, but they also work well in a wrap with salad and mango chutney. You could top them with a soft-poached egg, or have them as a side to grilled fish or meat – again with a spoon of natural yoghurt. Leftover fritters can be kept for 2 – 3 days in the fridge. They don't freeze when cooked; however, you can freeze the uncooked mixture, formed into fritters.

Lucy’s Notes:
Well, if these don’t get you eating (and loving) cauliflower and broccoli, nothing will. Delicious with the mango chutney, yoghurt and salad combo.
~~~~

Mango Chutney Yoghurt

And my auxiliary notes: These fritters, as terrific as they are (I've made them thrice), are very moist, delicate, and crumbly. I chilled the mixture first, then froze the formed patties just to solid before grilling them very, very slowly until well browned, set, and dry before turning them quickly, yet carefully, with a long, slotted turner. You won't loose a crumb, and you won't want to, regardless of dressing them up with sauce (I mixed 1 part mango chutney with 4 parts Greek strained yoghurt) or dressing them down with a scattering of sea salt.

Butter Beans
Dried Butter Beans

A big thank you to Lucy and Kathyrn for allowing me use of copyrighted material from their amazingly delicious An Honest Kitchen, available through either of their fine blogs, and an even bigger thanks to Sia of Monsoon Spice, hostess of MLLA 15. Sia wasn't planning on accepting late recipes, but I'm assuming she'll make an exception in my case and let me slip this under the door. ; P

Jeanne of Cooksister!
is hosting MLLA 16, the October round. She will be announcing in the next few days.

26 comments:

  1. Great to learn more about you! Those fritters looks delicious! I love the sea salt cristals on top...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could so use these fritters now, simply mouthwatering Susan. It is chilly & cloudy here & i would have them with some Sriracha:-)

    Nice to know a little bit about you. Whenever i see Swati's name, my heart skips a beat. We were in School together.. 20 years back!! i got back in touch with her after i started blogging.. via blogs! what an amazing world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 29 questions about your self is tough...i would have slept at least 5-6 times before i got to the bottom.hahahhha...good job susan! Love the fritters and the puns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have some of those fritters right now! They sound so yummy.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice way to eat cauliflower and brocolli.
    So now I know a little about you. Nice and can see sometijg of myself there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I hope your world gets less rough in the coming days... Sending you big hugs across the web... Thank you for this gorgeous meme - as always your writing is both witty and hauntingly beautiful! Your fritters look absolutely awesome as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and beautiful as always. It's great to learn a little bit about you. I've always enjoyed your posts so it's fun to know about the person to match.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see a new post, as always, and so sorry to hear that things are difficult (hope it gets better soon, or at least sooner than you think).

    I loved reading more about you! And thanks for including me in this meme. I know I'll get to it as well. . . eventuallly. :)

    Fabulous looking fritters! I must get that ebook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these vegetarian fritters Susan. I hope that life takes a turn in the road soon:D All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan, Nice to get to know you. You have a lovely blog and beautiful pictures!! Please accept 'One Lovely Blog Award' from me at my blog! Happy Blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to hear from you susan and with such an entertaining meme and a great recipe. Your answers reminded me of how long it is since I had the luxury of spending hours lying in bed reading (without a baby). Sounds like life is still a challenge for you so hope you are able to take some time out to smell the lavender

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photography Susan! I just love how you you've captured the texture and color on the fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely fritters and dip. I really like the stone vessel and wooden utensils you use ... such beautiful styling. Your meme was fun to read =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I appreciate that though you are extremely busy, you took the time to share a little of yourself with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been posting nor cooking much, but this recipe is certainly an inspiration. A must try. Very much enjoyed reading your meme :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome recipe. Broccoli and cauliflower are my favorite vegetables, so I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! I see a lot of other vegetable fritters, but none with broccoli and cauliflower. Can't wait to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i was reading my own comment and it didn't sound right ... So I am writing it again, Sorry if it offended you in any way:

    29 questions about your self is tough...i would have slept at least 5-6 times before i got to the bottom if I had to write about myself(its tough to answer questions abt one's self).hahahhha...good job susan! Love the fritters and the puns

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those fritters look so good and best of all, my husband will likely eat them since the vegetables are so well-disguised :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful post and loved your answers to the questions but why didn't you post/answer question number 21?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, everyone! I'm under the gun at the moment, but will answer your kind comments very soon. I appreciate and value each and every one. : }

    Momo - Good catch. Thanks. I did a quick and choppy cut and paste, obviously messing up. As I said early in the post, I am barely here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shriek of raptors? :-D

    I don't think I'd like to be born as myself again - I was telling someone I'd like to be re-born thin, intelligent, rich and something else ... and they all told me I can still achieve all that ...

    that's an interesting fritter and an interesting dip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very sorry for the delay, all. My life has been and will continue to be very hectic and unpredictable.

    Rosa - Thanks. I love those salt crystals, too. They are from Brittany and have that faint mineral aroma.

    Thanks, Soma. Sriracha is a *hot* idea. : ) Lovely that you and Swati go way back. The world is, indeed, a small place thanks to the WWW. I hope Swati returns to blogging at some point.

    Preeti - Thank you. And, no, I didn't take it the wrong way nor was I offended. ; }

    Rose - Thanks. They are truly lovely things and are part of my repeating recipe repertoire.

    Hi, Aparna. You really can't distinguish one veggie from the next except that when combined they are flavorfully more than the sum of their parts. Ah, so you and I are alike in some ways. : }

    Astra - You are such a sweetie. Thank you very much for all the kind words and kudos. : }

    Hi, Kelly! Thanks! I'm probably like most peeps, a mixed bag. :D

    Thanks, Ricki. Things are better, but still stressed. I look forward to reading your meme even if it's...eventually. : ]

    Thanks so much, Val!

    Welcome, Ambika! Thank you! Will take up the award as soon as I can.

    Thanks, Superchef! Good to see you.

    Dear Johanna - Such kind and wise words. Thank you very much.

    Shwetha - Thank you! They do have a distinctive texture and color. I'm glad my photos highlighted these qualities, and that you enjoyed them. : }

    Wiffy - Thanks, dear girl! I try to use a lot of props found around the flat. The vessel is actually the saucer to a flower pot. ;P

    Cynthia - Hope you were entertained by the massive contradictions. : D

    Hi, Lisa. Good to see you. Thanks so much.

    Welcome, Carrie! Thanks very much. This recipe makes the best use of broccoli and cauliflower that I've had in quite some time.

    Katie - Thank you!

    Preeti - See above, dear. ; }

    Welcome, High Over Happy! Thank you! Good of you to visit. You can definitely sneak some healthy food into your hubby with these.

    Yes, Sra: "shriek of raptors." ; ) In fact, Scott's taking me to a raptor rehab center to help me relax. I love the place, hidden away in the woods. The center rescues all kinds of birds of prey who have been injured or ill, many to return to the wild, but some stay on as permanent residents.

    I think you are too hard on yourself. People who have all the attributes that you think you are missing aren't necessarily happier for them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the mention. Glad you liked Kathryn's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful fritters!! I'd love to eat them with some hummus in a pita, in the same way you consume falafel.

    ReplyDelete