Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lazy Day Dessert - Pineapple with Crystallized Ginger, Orange Flower Water and Lime Zest


Pineapple with Crystallized Ginger and Lime Zest


Back from a one-month blogging holiday, you would think I'd be raring to go, bright eyed and brimming with all the vigor of those early days when The Well-Seasoned Cook was just a baby. Well, not so fast. There really would be no point at all to decompressing these last languid weeks if only to come back with a case of decompression sickness. I want bubbles in my champagne, not in my blood. So I am easing back onto the Autobahn, savoring these waning days of my slow, sweet summer with a recipe so delicate and dazzling that it could only have been designed on the wings of a dragonfly or in a Parisienne's kitchen. Anne's kitchen, to be precise.


Pineapple


Pineapple Carpaccio with Candied Ginger and Lime - Adapted from A Foodie Froggy in Paris


Ingredients

1 large pineapple
3 tablespoons orange flower water
1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
Zest of 1 large lime

Method

Cut off and discard the leaf and stem ends of the pineapple, as well as the peel. You can remove the eyes from the outer surface by following the photos in Anne's post, or nick them out with the tip of a very sharp knife. Slice pineapple into circles about 3/4 inch thick, then core each piece to create a ring. This is an easier way to core by hand if you do not have the luxury of edible-cored baby pineapple or a special pineapple coring tool. Cut each ring into chunks.

Arrange chunks in six individual bowls, scattering the divided ginger, lime zest and orange flower water over each serving. Chill briefly in the refrigerator or serve immediately. Serves 6.

Pineapple with Crystallized Ginger and Lime Zest


This post is going off to Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen, hosting the August edition of Monthly Blog Patrol, Fruit Fare, for Coffee of The Spice Cafe, the creator of Monthly Blog Patrol.

Been There, Done That ~

Halvah Ice Cream with Apricots and Orange Flower Water
Orange Madeleines in Coriander and Orange Flower Water Syrup
White Chocolate and Orange Flower Water Pots de Crème


Other People's Eats ~

Pineapple Ginger and Cinnamon Crème
Pineapple Salad - Two Ways
Pineapple and Sour Cream Sponge Cake

28 comments:

Ricki said...

Welcome back, Susan! You have been missed. :)

I think it's a great idea to ease yourself back into it. . .and now that we're actually getting some (semi-)warm weather, to enjoy it as much as possible! Lovely way to serve pineapple, too!

Ann said...

Glad to see you back! And what a lovely post you've returned with, too!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Such a simple and elegant dessert -- and I love the lime zest in the photo!

Simona said...

Welcome back, my dear. An ode to simple elegance. The photos are amazing.

Holler said...

Gorgeous photos! It all looks very tasty and I love the china :)

Passionate About Baking said...

Elegant & refreshing...very very pretty indeed. Love the pictures & the angles Susan! Welcome back!

glamah16 said...

Welcome back. Hope the vacation was restful and enjoyable. I'm sure you have all sorts of beautiful recipes and images lined up for the next few months.

Swati said...

Its a delight to have you back.. The pictures are marvelous as always..
The pineapples are very refreshing..

Foodycat said...

I am so jealous of people who make pretty food! And this is so pretty you could hang it on a wall.

Denise said...

Welcome back! The pineapple looks for refreshing ... makes me want to run right out and get some ... LOL

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

Lucy said...

Welcome back!

Well,the thought of sunny pineapple makes make me a very happy girl, shivering as I am in me boots down here.

Bubbles in champagne is by far my preference. Relax into it. The eating and reading will be all the better for a relaxed demeanour (sp?)!

maybelle's mom said...

what a lovely recipe.

sra said...

Welcome back! Liked what you had to say about making a slow comeback.
I like that zest lying languidly across the pineapple!

Foodie Froggy said...

Ohlala ! I am flattered you chose to come back with a recipe of mine ! I am blushing, thanks !!

Cynthia said...

I love the way you are easing yourself back in :)

farida said...

Welcome back! What an exotic desserts you've posted. The flavors sound intriguing.

Alexa said...

What a lovely dessert. Great new way to use orange flower water... I'll have to try it. Thanks!

bee said...

i've just started using orange flower water in various dishes, and this looks fabulous. i'd add a splash of grand marnier too. :D

Lisa said...

Your devoted fans have been eagerly awaiting your return. Ah yes, bubbles in the champagne along with an elegant fruit dessert. Perfection.

Srivalli said...

Thats a lovely picture..presentation and everything looks so appealing..good to see you back!

Dragon said...

Welcome back! What a lovely way to return to us.

noobcook said...

welcome back! You have been missed :) What a beautiful culinary dessert ... lovely & elegant, as always :)

Aparna said...

This looks very beautiful. I can imagine how good all those flavours must have tasted.
Thanks for participating in MBP. Sorry I took so long to get here.:)

Cynthia said...

this looks so refreshing! would be great for the warmer weather coming up ahead down under. and i do adore your presentation! :)

SweetDesigns said...

Pineapple is definitely one of my favorite fruits! What a great treat of it, sounds so wonderful and refreshing!

Susan said...

Thanks, Ricki. The weather’s been consistently sunny. It’s a shame to stay indoors if it can be helped.

Ann – Thanks!

Lydia – Thanks. It was its simplicity that first drew me in.

Thank you, Simona. : }

Holler – Thank you. That cup and saucer were a little find at an antique shop.

Thanks, Deeba. The pineapple was quite photogenic.

Coco – I do have many ideas. If only I can get myself organized. : D

Swati – Thanks! Every time I photograph flowers, I think of you.

Welcome, Foody Cat! Thanks so much. Very good to see you.

Hello, Denise! Welcome! Pineapple is one of those fruit that’s always available no matter what time of year or location, so no rush. It’ll be there.

Lucy – The summer’s been long and rather hot. As much as I’ve enjoyed it, I’ll be happy for the change in seasons.

Maybelle’s Mom – Thank you!

Sra – Thanks. The zest was a very cooperative model. : )

Anne – Good to see you! I’ve loved this recipe from way back when I first saw it on your site. I had to make it. : }

Cynthia – Still quiet around here – for now. : D

Thanks, Farida! I do seem to favor “exotic” dishes.

Welcome, Alexa! Thank you. Orange flower water is one of those things you either love….or don’t. It’s quite unique as far as flavoring agents go.

Bee – Thanks. Grand Marnier makes a nice touch. Haven’t used it, Cointeau nor Triple Sec in ages.

Lisa – Aww, go on! Thanks!

Thank you, Srivalli. It’s good to be back.

Dragon – Thank you. : )

Wiffy – Thanks for being a sweetie.

Thank you, Aparna. No worries about delays. Blogging usually takes more time than we anticipate. I don’t get anxious about such things. I was happy to join in MBP.

Thank you, Cynthia! Good to see you. Very nice of you come visit!

Welcome, Sweet Designs! Thanks! Pineapple never misses in terms of a sweet and easy dessert.

Jeanne said...

Oh my word, that sounds totally astonishing!! I always look at pineapples and neglect to buy them, thinking I don't like them that much, but a recipe like this reminds me that I do! Thanks for sharing and welcome back :)

Shaun said...

Susan, lovie ~ Though not a great lover of pineapple, I do appreciate how appealing it is at the height of summer (and I find it infinitely preferable to watermelon). Eric's mom lightly salts chunks of pineapple, which concentrates its flavour. I an imagine the bouquet that is the combination of orange flower water and pineapple juice. Even I might have a go at this over the summer (perhaps sans lime zest as limes are quite expensive in New Zealand).